Do not blog. Bring to class for discussion.
**You must use at least one concept from the “rhetoric handout” in your paragraph.
1. Whose rhetoric is most effective? Brutus or Antony?
2. Which speaker is more sincere?
3. Evaluate the crowd’s reaction to the speeches. Are they critical readers?
4. What truth about human nature does Act III reveal?
Is Brutus justified in killing Caesar?
Who has more power: the government (senators) or the people (citizens)?
Who reacts most appropriately to Caesar’s death?
How is friendship portrayed in the political world of Rome?
Draw a conclusion about a theme and include technique(s) that contribute to your conclusion. Your conclusion should show new understanding of:
Sample Claim: Act I of Romeo & Juliet uses wind as a metaphor to suggest that love makes us act without thinking.
New Understanding: self, human nature/society, world
Explain what Act II says about the theme
–Text evidence (supporting conclusion above)
–Technique(s) w/evidence (terms from poetry/drama/fiction notes)
Present your packet group’s concepts in the reading (154-185) using LC format
LC Options: plotters, performers, creators
- text connecting to your packet section
- Marxism concepts
- metaphor element (theme/motif/symbol/suggestive word choice)
- LC option
Due Monday, 3/25:
Write a LR based on the question below that matches the section of the packet you were assigned to:
1. How is the class conflict of capitalism affecting Jurgis and family?
2. Generalize who/what is to blame for Jurgis’s problems
3. What literary techniques (fiction) is Sinclair using to expose negatives of the system?
4. Is Jurgis a “willing worker” who accepts the status quo?
Alienation – a feeling of separation or separating himself #intimacyprobs
Connection – longing for human connection
Holden’s view of himself and where he fits in